Thursday, September 27, 2012

Weekends


Undeniably, one of the industries best suited to expand in Tajikistan is tourism.  Ecotourism to be exact.  Many of the best English speakers I have met here have spend their summers guiding American and European tourists around the spectacular mountains and countryside of Tajikistan.  It is in a way the natural extension of the culture of hospitality here.  Tourism has the potential (according to many Tajiks I have talked to) to employ thousands of people and stimulate an economy that is too dependent on illicit drug trade.

I got my own taste of this over the weekend.  A group called Hike Tajikistan, which caters primarily to westerners who can afford to pay for a good hike, offers scenic medium level hikes throughout the mountains for around $20 a person/ a day.  This is a lot of money in Somoni, but trust me, as a cheap student traveler, even I though the $20 was worth it.

We set off at 9 AM from the northern end of Dushanbe for the foot of Khoja Obi Garm.  The medium paced hike took us about two hours, and we all picnicked at the top of the mountain for close to an hour.  I dunked my feet into the icy blue water of the snowmelt stream for about 30 seconds before I could bear it no longer.  It was enough to cool me off completely.



We hiked back down the mountain after filling up on bread, cheese and coffee.   The weather was magnificent, and there was not a cloud in the sky.  Of course we had the luxury of a foreigner-fortified bubble and two clever hiking guides.  However, if all of the hikes in Tajikistan are half as good as this one, I can safely say, Tajikistan is a top tourism site. Period.

Moreover, I didn’t see one piece of litter or have one uncomfortable confrontation the entire trip.  I suppose this is crucial for a good tourist experience. But anyways personality of a tourist in Tajikistan probably isn't that of the seven day sunbather or the mocktail sipper or the passive spa goer.   I think it takes a certain amount of engagement, gumption and adventurousness to take on Tajikistan.  So I think the kind of tourist this country would attract would be especially invested in keeping the mountainsides as clean and stable as they are now.   Besides, the mountains here are some of the most humbling in the world.   

No comments:

Post a Comment